Sunday, December 23, 2012

The greatest mission of all

The group of Bethany interns we worked with on our last missions trip has returned from Kenya. As they were preparing to come home, they were all posting pictures and messages to friends and family on Facebook. Seeing all the pictures started me thinking about Kenya and I realized we have been back for six months. Where has the time gone? I realized I have become so busy, especially this time of year, that the hours, days and weeks have flown by and before I knew it my day to day life had lost some focus. The pictures from the interns brought to mind all the amazing things we have been blessed to be part of both here at home and in Kenya. Our God is amazing, awesome and I am humbled when I think of all he has done in my life. As I started thinking about missions and the work we have been able to share in I started thinking about missions and Christmas, since that special day is right around the corner. It occurred to me that the greatest mission trip ever started on Christmas day, in a humble stable, with a baby wrapped in blankets and lying in a manger. A missions trip involves crossing cultural lines to present the gospel to a people group who have never been exposed to Christ and the grace of God. The son of the most high God left his Father to be born the son of a carpenter and a virgin. He was rejected, beaten and killed to bring salvation to all people. Can you imagine leaving heaven, being born in a barn, rejected, mocked and ultimately killed by the very people your are trying to save? Talk about crossing cultural boundaries to reach a group of people! Because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ all people can be children of the one true king. Because of the sacrifice of Christ we all have a mission:

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”   Matthew 28:19-20

No Christmas? No forgiveness, no salvation, no mission, no hope. In all our comings and goings throughout the Christmas season, and all year long, remember the true meaning of Christmas.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.                                      John 3:16

I'm thankful God and the Son are never too busy and never lose focus. I pray we all remember the true reason for Christmas and as we celebrate with our friends and family we remember to say thanks for the gift we received through the missions trip Jesus started on Christmas day.

Merry Christmas and God Bless.

1 comment: